Hi friends!! So today is my 18th birthday and I wanted to do a special post to celebrate! I have learned so much in these 18 years I’ve been alive and I wanted to share 18 life lessons I’ve learned that every Christian girl should know!
It is honestly so hard to believe that I’ll be 18. As I sit here listening to Christian music (Resurrecting by Elevation Worship at the moment) and typing this, the night before my birthday, I am just filled with gratitude for everything that God has blessed me with. My life is far from perfect, but it is so beautiful! God has brought me so far in my walk with Him and has shown Himself so faithful. I’ve never been so close to Him or known so much about His character and how good He is than now.
God is so faithful and I am just so overwhelmed!! Thank you all for being a wonderful part of my life. Blogging is one of my favorite things in the world and I am so humbled that you have come today to read my words. I hope you leave more in love with Jesus than before because it truly is all about Him!
So let’s get started with those life lessons!
18 Life Lessons from the 18 Years of my Life
1.Spending time with Jesus is the most important thing I can do.
- Seriously y’all. If I’ve learned anything in the past 18 years, it is this. Time with Jesus is never wasted and every moment is so precious! When I don’t spend time with Jesus, I am more prone to temptation and sin. Life just isn’t as meaningful!
2. I do not need a guy to complete me.
- Jesus completes me as a person. Just because I do not have a boyfriend does not mean I am less than. I am whole in Christ and my identity is found in Him!
3. Sin is sin. There is no sugar coating it.
- We live in such a tolerant culture when it comes to sin and that is just not okay. Sin is sin and I think it is very important that we search the Bible for guidelines and boundaries.
4. Christian music is just the best.
- My family has listened to only Christian music for as long as I can remember. Now when I listen to anything else, it brings me down and makes me want things I don’t have (for example, a boyfriend). Christian music is so encouraging! (Here is my Spotify playlist if you need song recommendations!)
5. Family unity is so worth fighting for.
- I am not saying that I get along with my parents and siblings all of the time, but I am saying that family is so important! The people in my family really are my best friends. Fight for that unity and make sure to spend time with them!
6. Community within a church is one of the most encouraging things ever.
- We recently switched churches and it’s hard to get plugged in and find community. But it is SO worth it and I am so thankful for the connections I’ve made!
7. Waiting for God’s best when it comes to guys is hard, but it’s so worth it.
- As you probably know, I went through a somewhat tough experience with a guy this year, and I was forced to trust God with my love life. It is so hard, but God knows us better than we know ourselves. He knows what He’s doing and I trust Him!
8. Godly friends are the best friends.
- I’ve had friends that pull me farther away from Jesus and it’s not a good experience. But godly friendships are such an encouragement!!
9. When we are faithful in the little things we are faithful in the big things.
- Don’t believe the lie that these things you are doing in middle school, high school, or college, or anywhere, don’t matter. They do more than you know. Setting the foundation for being faithful in everything is such an important life lesson!
10. Grades matter but they aren’t everything.
- Study as hard as you can for your tests but don’t worry so much when you get a bad grade. Do your best and leave the rest up to God! You are worth more than your grades!
11. Finding something that you love to do is so important.
- Blogging is that thing for me. Find something that just sets your soul on fire and pursue it! Find a way to glorify God with it! Most likely, He gave you that interest and talent on purpose to impact His kingdom.
12. Eating healthy effects so many areas of my life.
- When I don’t eat well I am so emotional and don’t have the energy to do anything. For me, eating healthy is so important and has to be a priority if I want to be the best version of myself!
13. Social media is such an awesome tool, but it can be so toxic. Less is more.
- I love Instagram as much as the next person! But it has become dangerous for me. I compare my life to others and spend too much time on there. Recently, I’ve begun taking longer periods of time away from the app. And I never get on Instagram on Sundays! It is so refreshing and living my own life is so fulfilling!
14. Comparison is the thief of joy.
- Oh man, this is so true. When we compare our lives to others it steals all of our joy. So remember, the grass is not always greener on the other side. Water your own grass and be thankful for what God has blessed you with!
15. Age doesn’t matter as much as maturity.
- I’ve always been mature for my age. But you know, I’ve learned that maturity matters way more than age does.
“Let no one despise your youth, but be an example to the believers in word, in conduct, in love, in spirit, in faith, in purity.”
1 Timothy 4:12
16. Being quiet is okay.
- I am definitely an introvert and I’ve learned to love that about myself. But it is hard at times being quiet. I feel like I should say more but I don’t know what! But you know, being quiet is okay. Be yourself. Just remember to stand up for what is right!
17. It is so much better to get as far away from sin as possible instead of seeing how close you can get to the edge.
- Again, our culture loves to play with fire. We want to see how much we can play with it until we get burned. But that is not the right perspective at all! We need to get as far away from sin as possible.
“But among you there must not be even a hint of sexual immorality, or of any kind of impurity, or of greed, because these are improper for God’s holy people.”
Not even a hint, y’all!!
18. Jesus is just the absolute best and I would be nowhere without Him! He is enough.
- Seriously though, this is a good one to end on! I don’t know what I’d do without Jesus. He is so good and faithful. Life would be hopeless and meaningless without Him! He is enough for me.
This was such a fun post for me to write! I hope it encouraged you and you got a little something from it.
What are some life lessons you have learned? I’d LOVE to hear in the comments!!
With all my love,