Can y’all believe it is almost the New Year?? I don’t know where the year has gone, but it’s been a pretty good one. Rough in many spots, but so good in many more.
I think my favorite part of the year was truly starting this blog. I’ve met so many amazing people here and on Instagram, and there have been so many awesome opportunities. I’m so grateful! My least favorite part of the year may have been taking Physics, haha.
I am excited for 2018 and can’t wait for all it will bring (y’all, I graduate!!!). One of my favorite things to do at the end of a year is set goals for the new year. This year I even will have blogging goals, which is exciting!
Whether you set resolutions or goals, or maybe even a mix of both, I wanted to help you set ones that you will actually accomplish. And ones that actually mean something. I think we’ve all set goals that we never accomplished, or ones that really didn’t matter.
So let’s get started!
Choosing Meaningful Goals
Answering questions always helps me to see what really matters to me, or even what I’ve been missing. I encourage you to answer the following questions as you write out your goals for the New Year!
- What truly matters to you?
- What do you wish you did differently in 2017?
- Is there anything you need to change in your spiritual life?
- Is there anything you need to change to be healthier and honor God with your body?
- What are some things you need to let go of?
- What do you need more of? Hint: they probably aren’t material things.
- Are there any relationships or situations you need to mend?
- What is something that makes you truly happy?
- What is something you want to change in the world?
- If you could have done anything else in 2017, what would you have done?
So what do you have now? Do you have a list of things you’d like to do or see change in 2018? Awesome! Let’s crush those goals!
Sticking to Them
Of course, how many goals you set is up to you. I think having fewer helps you to stick to them better! Pick the ones most important to you. But here are a few tips to help you stick to your 2018 goals!
- Set them somewhere you see them everyday. Write them out on a note card and set them in your car, tape them to your computer or mirror, or even keep it as the lock screen on your phone. Hey, whatever works!
- Tell somebody about your goals and dreams. I feel that I tend to actually do something when I tell somebody else I want to do it. Accountability is underrated.
- Do monthly assessments. Or weekly or even daily. Whatever it takes to keep you on track. Just keep checking in to see how you’re doing.
- Give yourself grace. You will fail and you will mess up. Realize that this is okay and give yourself some grace. Everyday with God is a new beginning!
Choosing a Word & Verse for the Year
I think goals are amazing, but if you feel too much pressure, maybe you’ll like this idea better. Or maybe you’ll want to set goals AND do this. You do you. Choose a word that you truly want to define or focus on this year.
A couple of years ago, my word was thrive. Instead, of just surviving in life, I wanted to thrive.
You get the idea? Pray about a good word for the year and make sure you keep reinforcing it throughout the year. Write it everywhere!
Another idea is to choose a verse that you want to be your “theme verse” for the year. Mine this year is going to be Proverbs 3:5-6 because I need to trust God with my future. Ya girl doesn’t know what she’s going to do in the fall. But God does!
So what are you going to do? I encourage you to have a direction for the new year. You don’t have to have it all planned out, but I encourage you to set goals to become a better you and Christian!
I’d love to hear your goals, resolutions, word, and/or verse in the comments!
I hope you all have a wonderful New Year’s. I pray that you God will bless you and keep you, and make His face to shine upon you and give you peace, and I pray that you will always love God above all else. Talk to you next year!
With all my love,