A couple of years ago, my mom told me that I should start praying for my future husband. I remember that it excited me! The thought that there was a guy out there that I would someday marry was intriguing. I began praying for my future husband pretty much every night.
A year or two after my mom first talked to me about praying for my future husband, I found a guide on Pinterest that really helped to give direction to my prayers. I prayed about things I had never thought about, or hadn’t thought to pray for. It was awesome!
Since then, my prayers have changed and matured, and I wanted to share my personal guide with all of you today. And make sure you download the free printable at the bottom of the post!
But first, why should we pray for our future husbands?
Think about it. Your future husband is alive right now, facing many of the same struggles and issues as you are. Wouldn’t it be nice to know somebody was praying for you through it all? Same with him!
Also, I think it truly helps us to guard our hearts and focus on the one man that we will marry. When we pray for him, we remember the qualities that are non-negotiable that we hope to see in him. Knowing those, we can say no to guys that aren’t godly or a part of God’s plan for us. To summarize, praying for our future husbands help us to focus on God’s best.
Without further ado, let’s discuss how we should pray for these men of ours!
Pray that your future husband will…
Become a man after God’s own heart. (Acts 13:22)
- This is definitely the most important. Just as David was a man after God’s own heart, our husbands should be as well. They should seek to know God and be like Him.
Love the Lord with all of his heart, soul, mind, and strength. (Mark 12:30)
- Like I mentioned in my post, 8 Qualities to Look for in Your Future Husband, if your husband loves God will all of his heart, soul, mind, and strength, everything else will fall into place. That is the foundation of his life.
Remain physically and emotionally pure. (2 Timothy 2:22)
- Just as it is important for us as single girls to guard our hearts, it is important for your future husband to as well. Pray that he will fight for a life of purity, and for him to honor God, and you, with his body.
Be the spiritual leader of your future family. (1 Corinthians 11:3)
- Again, just as I mentioned in 8 Qualities to Look for in Your Future Husband, the man is to be the spiritual leader of the home. That is not and should not be your role, according to the Bible. Pray that your future husband will rise up to his job and take it seriously, with God as his role model.
Resist sexual temptation. (1 Corinthians 6:18)
- This is very similar to remaining pure, but sexual sin is so difficult that I like to highlight it again. Pray that he will say no to porn, premarital sex, self pleasure, and other forms of sexual sin.
Be physically and spiritually safe. (2 Thessalonians 3:3)
- I love to pray for my future husband’s safety, because we all know this world is crazy 😉 But also pray for his spiritual safety against temptation and the evil one.
Become a prayer warrior. (2 Corinthians 10:3-5)
- Prayer is so important, as you probably know if you are praying for your future husband. Pray that he will realize this and lead a life of prayer!
Love and respect you completely. (Ephesians 5:25-29)
- Ever been in a relationship or friendship where the other person totally didn’t love or respect you? It’s the worst. Pray that he will learn to love you as Christ loves you, and respect you for the treasure you are.
Patiently wait for you. (Genesis 29:20 & 1 Corinthians 13:4)
- You want him to remain pure for you, but you also want him to be patient. Meaning, not being desperate enough to try every online dating site, and go to every party where there are girls. Pray that he will seek God’s will as he waits for you.
Make wise choices. (James 1:5)
- One day, your husband is going to be the head of the house, and you will appreciate it if he makes wise choices that you know are good to follow. Pray that he will seek God’s will in every decision!
Have spiritual endurance. (2 Timothy 4:7-8)
- Who likes a quitter? Pray that your future husband will not quit in his spiritual walk even when it gets hard, but that he will grow stronger in the difficult times.
Be a hard-worker. (Colossians 3:23)
- You want a man that will provide for you and your children one day, and to do this he will have to work hard. Pray that he has a strong work ethic and isn’t afraid to get his hands dirty.
Have a heart for your future children. (Ephesians 6:4)
- One day your future husband is going to be your children’s father, which is the coolest thing to think about. But what if he’s not a good dad? Pray that he will love your children and teach them to follow Jesus with their lives.
Be encouraging and edifying to everyone he meets. (1 Thessalonians 5:11)
- A man that is encouraging to others is so important. He makes a difference and changes the world for God’s good. And a man that is encouraging to others will probably be encouraging to you.
Be missions-minded. (Mark 16:15)
- Our main purpose in life is to know Jesus and make Him known. Pray that your husband is always thinking about how to grow God’s Kingdom by sharing the Gospel with others!
Well there you have it! How I pray for my future husband. I truly hope that this encourages you to begin praying for your future husband, or to become more intentional in your prayers. Also, I made a free printable for you to say thanks for all of your support, and to make it a little easier to remember to pray! Just click on the image below to sign up for my newsletter, and my free resource library password will be sent straight to your email!
Well y’all, that was part FIVE of my Singleness Series! Can you believe we’re that far into it?? Here is a list of all of the posts if you need to catch up!
How to Pray for Your Future Husband
Stay tuned for next week! I am going to be talking about thriving as a single girl on Valentine’s Day! Sign up on the sidebar to receive an email when I post.
With all my love,