I talk a lot about being single here on the blog, and I totally love that! I really feel like, as a single girl myself, God has called me to encourage other single girls. But when Basic Invite reached out to me and asked if I’d like to work with them, I immediately thought of writing to those girls that are engaged, specifically on 5 things to do once you are engaged! So yes, this is a sponsored post, but all opinions are my own. I would never recommend a brand to you if I did not believe in it myself!
Although I’ve never been engaged myself, I know it can be such an amazing stage in a relationship, but also a hard one. Not only are you planning a wedding, but you should be planning to have a solid marriage where Christ is glorified. Add to that emotions and striving for purity, and it can be a patience-testing season. Today I just want to share with you 5 tips to make engaged life a little easier, all straight from the Bible or wisdom I’ve gleaned from those older than me. I hope you enjoy!
Things to Do Once You are Engaged
1. Premarital Counseling
This one is huge! Don’t look at the word counseling as taboo. I mean, I think counseling is good for anyone at any stage in life. Learning from wiser people is always beneficial.
Premarital counseling should be at the top of your to-do list as an engaged couple. Find an older, wiser godly couple that is willing to pour into you for a few months. It could even be your pastor or somebody from your church whom you really respect.
Try to meet once a week and let him/her lead you through important discussions and topics. They may bring up something you had not thought of, or may speak wisdom into an area where you are weaker.
I’ve heard SO many couples say that premarital counseling was one of the best things they ever did to prepare for marriage.
2. Don’t stop communicating
When you first start dating, communication is huge. You are getting to know one another and you want to talk to them all of the time.
Once the busyness of engagement hits, don’t stop communicating. Talk through everything- any concerns, joys, or anything else on your heart. Don’t stop getting to know one another. Communication is key in marriage and engagement is a great place to practice.
Even having questions to go through would be amazing. Girl Defined has 136 questions to ask in a relationship that you may want to check out!
3. Read Christian Marriage Books
There are SO many good Christian books out there on marriage full of wisdom. Take advantage of them! So many people have walked through what you are going through or are about to experience and have a lot to say on the topic.
Books are a great way to keep Christ at the center of your relationship. They can help remind you of the purpose of marriage and how to glorify God through your relationship.
Here is a list of books you may want to check out:
- The Meaning of Marriage by Timothy Keller
- Sacred Marriage by Gary Thomas
- You and Me Forever by Francis and Lisa Chan
- Love that Lasts by Jefferson and Alyssa Bethke
- Preparing Your Heart for Marriage by Gary Thomas
- Letters to a Romantic on Engagement by Sean Perron and Spencer Harmon
4. Don’t stop striving for purity
I wrote a post earlier this year on how to stay pure as a single girl, but what about when you’re engaged? That’s even harder! A lot of the principles still stay the same.
Seek accountability. This is so important! Have mentors or an older couple that checks up on you and your battle for purity.
Keep praying together. Ask God to give you strength to remain pure. This also helps keep Christ at the center!
Keep your conversations pure. Don’t dream aloud about how awesome your wedding night is going to be.
Your hard work and discipline will pay off!
5. Basic Invites
This is a fun tip that deals with wedding planning! Like I said earlier, Basic Invites is sponsoring this blog post, but I’m seriously in love with their invites! They have super cute save the dates, as well as traditional wedding invites.
I want to tell you about some of my favorite aspects of this company:
- They offer FREE wedding websites! You can direct guests to your custom website in order to RSVP, read your love story, or get more information.
- Before you order all of your invites, they offer custom samples of the invite you created. Basic Invites wants to make sure you love it!
- They have so many colors and styles to choose from, including gold foil!
- They offer the cutest keepsake guest books.
- Basic Invites also has those cute seal and send wedding invites! They don’t even need envelopes. It has all of the info needed with a tear-off RSVP, sealed with a sticker!
- They have a free address collection service as well to make it even easier on you!
- The invites are affordable!
I just think their invites are the cutest. You can check them out HERE!
And for my readers that aren’t engaged, they have invites for so many different occasions in life!
Follow Basic Invites on Social Media:
I hope these tips encouraged you! Would you add anything to my list?
Oh, and congrats on your engagement! 😉
With all my love,
Don’t stop praying for your future husband, even when you are engaged!